Roof waterproofing is an absolute necessity for homeowners. It protects and safeguards your roof, and subsequently your home, from inclement weather such as snow, torrential rainfall, tropical storms, hurricanes, and more. To best protect your roof and home from water and water damage, you must waterproof your roof and learn how to properly do so. In this article, I am going to go over the benefits of roof waterproofing, popular and common waterproofing options, and the basics of how to waterproof your roof.
Roof Waterproofing Benefits
There are many fantastic and long-lasting benefits for roof waterproofing, and they include:
- Mold prevention
- Wood rot prevention
- Ceiling leak prevention
- Inclement weather protection
- Structural stability maintenance
- Building temperature maintenance and insulation
- Pest control
- Prevention of moist internal environment
- Water damage prevention
- Building reinforcement
Roof Waterproofing Options
There is a wide variety of roof waterproofing methods on the market. They come in many shapes and sizes and have many names. More info on roof repair located here. I am going to go over some common and popular options here. Here they are:
- – This is best for covering and waterproofing the whole roof. It is environmentally friendly, it boosts your energy efficiency, and it has exquisite durability.
- – This is best for spot-sealing and waterproofing small segments of the roof. Best for roofs made of concrete.
- – It is easy to use and moderately efficient. This should be more of an extra, protective layer used for reinforcement of existing waterproofing.
- This includes materials such as polyurethane, liquids, bituminous membranes,
- Often referred to as the easiest method for those who do construction. The materials are easy for masons and construction workers to get their hands on.
- Some people use the basic method of simply painting their roof to give an added layer of color and protection. This method, however, is more aesthetic than protective, and should potentially be reinforced by other methods.
This method, however, is more aesthetic than protective, and should potentially be reinforced by other methods.
Roof Waterproofing Basics
Here are some general guidelines for preparing your roof for waterproofing:
- Make sure to rid the roof of debris, such as leaves and sticks.
- Cut back overgrown branches from nearby trees and remove ivy and plant life that may be infringing on the roof.
- Repair and/or replace broken, warped, or absent shingles.
- Insulate your attic, if you have one.
- Reinforce the gutters with heat tape, and repair/redirect gutters as needed. This will ensure proper water flow.
- Make sure that the type of waterproofing material you use is compatible with the type of roof you have. This includes shape, slope, material (metal, wood, concrete, shingles, etc.), and climate.
- If your roof has been previously waterproofed, make sure to check what type of waterproofing material was used before so you can apply a compatible new waterproofing material. Some waterproofing methods do not mix well.
Now that you know some general methods of waterproofing a roof, I hope you make a well-informed decision to ensure that you do the best for the health of your roof! I certainly hope that this article has given you the insight you need to make this decision. …